Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Vince Guaraldi Trio- A Charlie Brown Christmas

To start off, I really do hate Christmas music, but I love this album. Personally I think that says a whole lot about the album. I love how The Vince Guaraldi Trio makes these songs sound "Christmasy" but also have a jazz touch to them that makes us music-loving-Grinches swoon. The first song, "Oh Tannenbaum" starts with a quiet peaceful, but still jazzy, rendition of "Oh Christmas Tree", then the soft drums come in, along with my favourite part, the walking base. The trills and jazz off-beats of Guaraldi's playing is incredible and makes you want to get up and dance. The upright base solo in this piece is absolutely indescribable, knowing a bit of base myself, I am completely awestruck on how this man does it. Another great track which I have loved since I was very small is "Linus and Lucy". Now if "Oh Tannenbaum" made you want to dance, it will be impossible not to get up during this one. I loved it so much that when I was 13, I taught myself how to play the chorus. It's a great jazz song, one of my all-time favorites. It features that amazing walking base I was talking about earlier, and incredible piano skills. You have to listen to that one. Even if you don't celebrate Christmas this album is worth it, just for the incredible jazz. Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment